It’s a bright sunny day and you’re cruising along on your bike, enjoying the weather. Life is good. Suddenly, you notice a bunch of debris in front of you! You try to swerve out of the way, but it’s too late. You wipe out and somersault for fifteen feet. Fortunately, you had one of the best motorcycle helmets on your head! You stand up, dust yourself off, and continue riding.
This is not a farfetched scenario. Having the right motorcycle helmet can mean the difference between life and death! There are a ton of options out there to give you the best comfort and convenience without sacrificing on safety or style. This article walks you through the top 10 best motorcycle helmets on the market, while providing you with some solid advice on finding the perfect fit. Let’s check ‘em out!
10 Best Motorcycle Helmet Reviews
We’ve curated a list of the top 10 best motorcycle helmets around. They’ve each been given a rating and short summary for your convenience. To learn more about each product, click the links to see the price and detailed specifications.
Award: Best Modular Motorcycle Helmet
The 1Storm Modular Motorcycle Helmet is a DOT approved option that’s ready to go in an instant. Featuring incredible safety ratings and unbeatable performance, you can expect a thrilling ride time after time!
- Modular helmet design allows you to flip up the visor for better visibility
- Glossy UV protective finish for an extra shine
- DOT approved aerodynamic design for safety and enhanced performance
Award: Best Unisex Motorcycle Helmet
The Scorpion Exo Helmet is designed to work for both men and women. With a tough LG polycarbonate shell and high density EPS foam, you can expect a durable helmet that works and feels great. The visor and removable mask round out the features for a full-on performance powerhouse.
- Proprietary LG polycarbonate shell for incredible durability and safety
- EPS foam offers a comfortable and convenient inside fit
- Removable tinted sun visor offers great visibility and versatility
Award: Best Full Motorcycle Helmet
One of the best full motorcycle helmets on our list, this offering by HJC is a performance juggernaut with fantastic consumer ratings and overall performance. It comes in a variety of sizes and styles for every taste and offers unique features like an anti-scratch face-shield, ACS ventilation system, and a moisture wicking interior for ease and comfort.
- One of the highest rated motorcycle helmets on our list at an affordable price
- ACS ventilation system and moisture wicking interior padding provide unrivalled comfort
- Comes with anti-scratch and anti-fog coatings for added reliability
4. Torc Mako Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
Award: Best Motorcycle Helmets with Bluetooth
Perhaps the most unique offering on our list, the Torc Mako Full Face Helmet features a number of exciting options like bluetooth connectivity and in-ear speakers! It protects your head with the best of them, all while offering unbeatable convenience and style. Definitely one of the best motorcycle helmet with speakers on the market.
- DOT certified shell combines with dense EPS foam for a safe and cozy fit
- Bluetooth and speaker integration connected with your phone and other devices
- Stylish fit includes a machine washable interior for added convenience
Award: Best Motorcycle Half Helmet
As the only half motorcycle helmet on our list, we chose the absolute best option on the market with this offering by ILM. The stylish and secure fit combines with advanced features like a quick release chin strap, drop down visor, a premium venting system and more. It’s ready to go out of the box thanks to great safety ratings and DOT approved use.
- One of the best motorcycle half helmets with DOT approval
- Black design combines with red quick release chin strap for a sporty look
- Great customer ratings and several sizing options offer reliability and customization
Award: Best Aerodynamic Motorcycle Helmet
The GDM Duke Motorcycle Helmet is a sleek and aerodynamic piece of headgear that offers great looks and exceptional performance. It exceeds DOT approved standards for total safety without sacrificing on comfort or ease of use. The 7 point ventilation system, lightweight construction, and padded interior combine to create one of the best motorcycle helmets around.
- Exceeds DOT standards for unrivalled safety
- Lightweight construction and sleek black shell offer an aerodynamic feel
- Comes in several sizes to support most users
Award: Best Street Motorcycle Helmet
As one of the more reputable brands on our list, Bell strikes again with their durable Qualifier Street Helmet. The lightweight polycarbonate shell and padded interior combine for a luxury fit that just feels good. Anti-fog, anti-scratch, and UV shield features complement the quick release visor for convenience and style.
- Constructed from a feather-light polycarbonate shell and comfortable foam interior
- Padded wind collar reduces noise while increasing comfort and insulation
- Integrated speaker pockets integrate seamlessly with your bluetooth equipment
Award: Best Motorcycle Helmet for Big Heads
The Yema Modular Helmet is a superb choice for everyone thanks to the array of sizing options from small to 2XL. Plus, the futuristic design offers everything you need thanks to DOT approval, top-of-the-line materials, and unbeatable performance on the road.
- The ABS shell and dense EPS foam interior offer great protection and comfort
- Comes with extra space inside, making it one of the best motorcycle helmets for glasses
- Unique ventilation system promises comfortable airflow and moisture reduction
Award: Best Open Face Helmet
The Fuel Open Face Helmet is an attractive option for those seeking a ¾ style ride. Plus, you get the best of both worlds with the pivoting visor system that keeps out debris and wind on the road. Expect great visibility and enhanced performance thanks to the open-face and quality craftsmanship.
- Pivoting eye shield offers extra protection against debris and the elements
- DOT approval ensures excellent safety and crash ratings
- UV paint offers sun protection while the ventilation system keeps the interior fresh and circulated
Award: Best Offroad Motorcycle Helmet
An attractive option by MMG, the Dual Sport Motorcycle Helmet is a fantastic choice for riders of all types. The full face style features DOT approval, a flexible visor, and a wide opening for extra space. Plus, the premium interior lining is removable and washable while the interior circulation is on point thanks to the quality ventilation system.
- DOT approval offers an extra level of security on the road
- Multi sport rating means this helmet is perfect for riders of all types
- Versatile visor pivots and locks into place for the perfect fit every time
How Do Motorcycle Helmets Work?
Motorcycle helmets are designed to protect a rider’s head in case of an accident or crash while riding a motorcycle. The idea is to keep the skull and brain protected, preventing head injury and the serious repercussions that come along with it. The best motorcycle helmets work by shielding the head with a protective shell that absorbs the brunt of an impact. Inside the helmet is protective and comfort padding for additional support that cushions the skull as it hits against any hard surface at high speed.
Chin straps keep the head locked into place, while visors and other features provide additional safety, keeping debris out of the eyes and your head and neck protected. Motorcycle helmets are uniquely designed for situations that riders typically encounter, and they’re tested and rated to provide maximum protection in those instances.
Alongside protective features, the best motorcycle helmets often sport a number of other safety and performance options. You’ll find things like DOT-certified vizors, bluetooth connectivity, and even in-ear speakers on some of today’s newest models! Throw in a range of stylistic options and you’ll see that there is a lot to consider.
So what different types of motorcycle helmets are there on the market?
Types of Motorcycle Helmets
There are numerous different types of motorcycle helmets, and sorting through them is a must to get the right fit for your bike and unique situation.
Let’s take a look at the main options available:
- Open Face. Open face motorcycle helmets are among the most comfortable, as they only cover ¾ of your head while leaving your face region open. While this can make for an enjoyable ride, the safety ratings are generally less favorable that other models. Also, debris can become an issue for your eyes and face without additional protection. These helmets pair well with cruisers and scooters.
- Half. A half helmet covers the top half of your head, much like a bicycle helmet. These are not a very good option for most riders, as they offer much less protection than the other models on our list. There may be some instances where this type of helmet is appropriate, but use them wisely.
- Full. Expect excellent protection and full coverage with this style of helmet, since they cover the whole head from front to back. What makes these helmets different from the previous options is that they sport a chin bar, a feature that keeps your jaw area safe in case of an accident. Full helmets are highly recommended for most riders.
- Modular. Modular helmets are a versatile option that offer good protection while providing lots of comfort and style. These helmets are unique because the chin bar can flip up to make the helmet more open and flexible. They’re the perfect option for short rides and those seeking versatility while riding.
- Specialty. There are a number of other specialty motorcycle helmets on the market for folks interested in off road biking, sport racing, adventure touring, and more. Our top 10 list features some helmets geared specifically toward these areas so you’re fully covered no matter how you ride.
As you can see, there is a lot to consider when choosing a motorcycle helmet. They come in all different styles and each one is uniquely designed to perform a specific function. As you browse around, remember that it’s best to choose a model that matches your intended use.
Choosing the Best Motorcycle Helmets
We’ve had a look at the science behind motorcycle helmets and we’ve seen the different types available. But how do you actually choose the best motorcycle helmet for your unique situation?
Well, there are a few things to consider when deciding on the right helmet:
As we’ve already seen, there are many different types of motorcycle helmets to choose from! This is the place to start as you’ve got to be sure that the helmet type matches your intended use before moving onto fit and style.
This can be a little tricky if you’re ordering over the internet. While many sales pages have sizing guides, it’s up to you to order the right fit for your head. We recommend measuring your head if you haven’t done so already, or going to a local shop and trying on the helmets in person before ordering online.
While safety comes first, choosing the right style is an important followup consideration. Colors, shape, and graphics are things you’ll want to look at when making a decision. There are lots of options out there, and many of the best motorcycle helmets come in different variations.
From bluetooth connectivity to speaker integration and more, modern motorcycle helmets are outfitted with the latest and greatest tech for a unique riding experience! You can also expect many of them to integrate with the best motorcycle helmet cameras and best motorcycle helmet locks for tricked out videos and added safety. Look around at the options to find a swagged out helmet for your situation!
In addition, remember that safety always comes first when choosing a motorcycle helmet. Fortunately, the options on our list are mostly DOT certified with great ratings, ensuring a comfortable fit with excellent performance. No matter which option you choose, remember that it’s about finding what’s right for you. Choose what looks and feels good, and then hit the road!
If you’d like to know more about choosing the right fit for your riding, check out this awesome video by Dan over on Youtube. He goes through the ins and outs of finding the perfect match for your bike.